Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Peace in Rastafarianism


After viewing the Rastafari video, I was struck by how structured the life was. In the readings and discussions, I got the impression that the Rastafari, while they did have traditions such as smoking Ganja, were a fairly loose, hippie sort of people. However, in the video they seemed similar to devout Muslims, in that they had gatherings for prayer or reflection several times a day, wore specific clothing such as the red turbans, and were focused on the homeland and their eventual return. They were not a group of wild hippies but instead they were a community brought together by symbols such as the red turban over dreadlocks. I noticed that the colors we discussed (green gold and red) were everywhere. The three were painted on houses, woven into flags or clothes, used to paint notices or biblical messages. Even mother nature joined in with yellowish earth, reddish tree bark and green leaves. This group of people living a fairly simplistic lifestyle seemed very at peace with their world. Brought together by their many many prayers and symbols, the community was tranquil. This was not expected by me, I pictured political turmoil, activism and outgoing ganja use, not his tropical, peaceful paradise.
Though, perhaps this community is fairly isolated as it is far up in the mountains and not near any sort of city. I am not well versed by any means in the ways of the Rastafari, but I assume that in more densely populated areas the observation of the Rasta faith would be different and perhaps more politically charged. As far as Bob Marley goes, it is difficult for me to picture the mountain people listening to his music, simply because it is more modern and requires electricity and his place did not seem to have that. I can see, the people perhaps learning of his music and attempting to replicate it themselves for its spiritual and aesthetic value. Again, I was most surprised by the spiritual peace of this people, they were nothing like the political uprisers that I pictured the Rastafarian to be (and I say all this not meaning to criticise any type of Rastafarian).

1 comment:

  1. I also noticed the devout lifestyle of the Rastas...it's interesting to see how such an unstructured religion has such strong and devoted followers. And I like your comment about how the trees and earth even evoke the colors of the Ethiopian flag. Perhaps Jamaica is more like Ethiopia than we thought! Great post!

    ReplyDelete