Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Core


So, our mention of The Core church in Appleton made me want to find out more about just what the core is, so I went to their WEBSITE and found out some interesting things. The mission of the Core is to "transform lives for Christ through faith that is real, relevant, and relational." However, it does not come across as the upbeat, modern, contemporary church that I thought it would be. True, they do claim to have modern music, and their website's design resembles that of a rock band or TV show (such as Supernatural), but what was said regarding the church did not really address any other modern features such as cupholders, popcorn, or layout. Instead, they focused on somewhat traditional aspects, such as spreading the word and focusing in on Jesus' importance. While I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that, I was just surprised that there was not more of a new-agey vibe. I think perhaps it would be interesting to learn more about how this particular community that seems so focused on past events (aka Jesus) actually views and deals with the very modern aspects of their church. I have actually sent them an e-mail, asking something to the effect of how do they address this modernism and I hope to get a response soon! But in the meantime I can speculate and then compare my speculations to whatever response I get (if I receive one).
Perhaps, this church is not 'bringing the modern into their religion' (seeing a cupholder and somehow fitting it into their way of thinking), but it appears to be fitting their religion to the modern, by finding contemporary songs that express their religion and attempting to appeal to the younger generation by using modern website techniques to express themselves.This modernization would probably benefit them in the long run, as religions need to change and adapt with the times, but I am not sure how they are doing it. I look forward to learning more later, and will have a more clear idea of just what The Core is then.

3 comments:

  1. Let me know if you get a response, the differences and comparisons between the old and new are interesting and hearing the thoughts from someone from the actual church would be an interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to see how religions adapt differently to changing times. I'd also like to see how the people of the church view it. I wonder if their perspective is different than how those on the outside see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it would be fascinating to see how they respond. The church would also make a great final project.. if you could document it..

    ReplyDelete