Sunday, May 3, 2009

Metaphor, the elephant of religion

In the article on conceptual blending, Giles Fauconnier brings up two very interesting points that I would like to touch on. First, structure mapping, or simile and metaphor recognition and creation, is a way to construct meaning that we regularly take part in. This recognition of metaphor helps us to understand and make actions according to the world. In his use of the ski teachers advice on thinking of holding a tray of croissants and champagne in order to ski down a hill better, Fauconnier demonstrates the basics of this recognition and imagination. We constantly use this form of thinking to compare tasks to others (e.g. it's just like riding a bike, or, when a horse throws you off...). Second, he points out later in the chapter, that metaphor is not meant to be taken literally (this may be confusing and maybe I am using this assumption wrong but bear with me), that is, a metaphor is never perfect in every aspect. Much as the computer uses the shadow of things when you click and drag (a non-perfect metaphor) so do other metaphors (e.g. riding a bike, obviously it is not JUST like riding a bike). How does this relate to the bible, religion and St. Augustine? Well, in this excerpt from a question and answer session, Guy Consolmagno gives a bit of an explanation that I found fascinating.

Here is the clip



So, much like St. Augustine says, the bible (and indeed, this could be applied to other religious texts) is not meant to be taken literally, but rather figuratively. Still, the metaphors are not perfect, even they must be taken figuratively. Obviously, when the people of God are referred to as sheep, it does not mean that God shears them yearly, or slaughters them for meat, rather, one must find the most sensible meaning for this metaphor and only take that bit away from it. Religion is full of metaphor. This is largely due to it's need to reach people and to be interesting (poetry rather than textbook). Also, the use of metaphor in religion gives way to more deep and profound thinking and room for interpretation. If it is simply said "the people who are the followers of God will be kept safe" that is all well and good but does it not better grab your attention to say "You are my flock and I your shepherd. Follow me and I will guide you, I will keep the wolves from your backs and I will give you pen and sustenance"? This is a much more powerful statement. Even if this is not preferred because it is not as clear, and is perhaps therefor less sure; it can be interpreted to mean several different things (wolves could be other people, sins, travails etc.) and is therefor applicable to many situations and problems, making it more powerful and thought provoking (not to mention more elegant which goes into the whole 'elegance is the appearance of wiseness' that Augustine talks about). Lastly, metaphor makes religion more personal, instead of this overarching 'this is how it is' textbook style; metaphor brings religion down to earth and makes it open to each person's different interpretation cased on moods or feelings that change and shift as time progresses.

On a bit of a different note. Metaphor can be found everywhere. For me, it has always been something that is only found in poetry, or profound speaking or literature. But I realise that it can be found in virtually everything. (I was astonished by the computer analogy. I had never thought of computers as metaphor places). I do know, however, that there is a lot of speculation as to what is metaphor for what in different films. I enjoy very much contemplating this idea that films can be metaphors (often religious or political ones). I found this video while I was looking for the other one and I enjoyed it, it is a little basic but it brings the idea of metaphor and film to light.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I thought that it was really good that you stressed the importence of metaphors as they are extemly important to religion.

    ReplyDelete